Life on land could not exist without soil. Almost everything we need can be traced to the soil: food, fibre, medicines, and more. What would we be without it? Certainly not a planet worthy of the name Earth.
There are already plenty of books about agriculture, ecology or how to grow tomatoes. This book is about the other stuff. Like…
- how soil evidence can nail a murderer
- the ingredients that make a Test cricket pitch
- how the soil affects the taste of your favourite wine
- the soil microbes that could be the next wonder drug
- tips for digging a POW camp escape tunnel (disclaimer: don’t try it at home) or mounting an invasion of Normandy (ditto)
- how to be ecofriendly when you’re dead.